Sunday, August 29, 2010

Fantasy Football

Let me preface this entry by saying that it is 5:21am, I can't sleep, so if none of this make sense, I apologize.

I will be participating in my first Fantasy Football league. Why? Let me tell you. My boyfriend who eagerly anticipates the football season from the moment the Super Bowl ends, created a league. He was short one person and I thought, why not? How hard can it be? Let's see what this is all about.

I wish I had some funny, inside woman's perspective, but I'm not quite there yet. What I can say is that the whole thing reminds me a little of Facebook for men. Let me explain, I know men use Facebook, I'm not trying to be sexist. But, seeing men research players, participate in infinite mock drafts, create point systems and highly anticipate the sacred auction, for some reason, makes me think of girls. You know when they check their Facebook news feed every ten seconds? Flip through 241 pictures of their old high school friend, to see who possibly could have gotten her pregnant? Or, highly anticipate when their ex-boyfriend's status finally goes back to single?

Don't get me wrong, I am not mocking the game, I am simply trying to understand the phenomenon. In a nut shell, the game seems to consist of pretending to have a football team and scoring pretend points, based on what real players do, during real games? I still have about a week before I actually have to participate in my own draft. I'm a little scared, I read an article that said that you should not participate in pay leagues, if you have never played before, so much for that...I will either be $40 poorer when this is all over or $200 buckaroos richer. So far, the most exciting part about the whole thing has been choosing a team name. 'Hellraising Princess' is what I'm going with at the moment, but that can still change. HP IS IN THE DA DRAFT, WOOT, WOOT!

It turns out I already had a user name on ESPN, who knew? Turns out that I am: whatamidoingonespn since March 2008. Wow.

This is my Sunday football face, Matt says I'm "in the zone". I am sure I will regret posting this picture...

1 comment: