Thursday, August 5, 2010

Job Search

Looking for a job IS A JOB!

Sweat, tears, networking, contacts, e-mails, applications, cover letters (in no particular order).

When this is over, I should be able to put on my resume, "CEO of my own job hunting". I deserve that title and will have earned it.

As we learned last time, driving to an interview does not always make the most sense, so since then I have fully adopted the metro. But, one needs to keep in mind what that truly entails: leaving over an hour before you have to be anywhere, if you venture out in heels and a suit, your toes will want to fall off by the end of the day and you will sweat. I do not mean glisten or feel parched, I mean bullets of sweat running down your cheeks, forehead, neck and back, as if you had just left jazzercise.

I had a guardian angel looking over me today. This morning, I was in the state I previously described, sweating, lost and on my way to an interview. The metro had been delayed, I had 15 minutes to get to my destination and the second metro I had to get on, was not coming for another 12 minutes! I left the station and decided to try and hail a cab, the problem was that I did not have any cash and there was no ATM in sight. I was on the phone with Matt, in a little bit of a panic, panting that there were no cabs in sight, I claimed in my moment of frustration that I did not even know what cabs in DC looked like, haha. At that moment, a man next to me must have overheard and magically hailed a cab for me in less than 5 seconds. I told the cab driver that I had no money, we needed to stop at an ATM. He said that he would take me for free, he said that he did not need the money. Not only was I on time, I was EARLY!! Free cab ride in DC, I'm sure that is unheard of. I am eternally grateful to my new Sudanese cab driver friend.

I am finally home sweet home, in my bed, aka my office. It is storming outside now, thank goodness that was not a factor in my morning race around town.

No comments:

Post a Comment