My book signing virginity was not taken by the Kardashian sisters, Elizabeth Gilbert or Sophie Kinsella. Rather, Bill Simmons. ESPN sports columnist, author and podcaster, that Matt loves. Despite him not particularly being my author of choice, it was still exciting because I have listened to quite a few of his podcasts with Matt. In between talking about sports (he roots for the Patriots of course), he also interjects some pop culture, including my favorite, The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. He claims that his wife watches it and therefore he finds himself drawn to the show from time to time. This of course is what I chose to talk about with him, while he signed our book. I was probably the only person in the whole place who chatted him up about The Real Housewives and not sports...
Coincidentally, the signing was taking place at a Borders a block away from my office. So, after work I met Matt there. First, we had to buy the book and then we went downstairs to get the book signed. Bill Simmons is popular, but I did not expect the amount of people I encountered. If I had to guess, more than 1,500 people (99% men) must have attended this event. We were in line for 2 hours. Yes, you read correctly. If everyone purchased at least one book (some had more), Borders made at least $28,500 in 2.5 hours. We were among those with more than one, I was also able to get a book signed for my friend Regina's boyfriend Santiago, who is also a fan.
I'd be lying if I said that I was not completely exhausted by the time we finally reached home, but I enjoyed the experience, certainly something different. Michael Oher (main character in The Blind Side and of course Ravens football player) will be at this Borders in January :)


Fantasy football update: 13-0
Can you smell vistory? Can you smell the money?
No comments:
Post a Comment