Monday, April 25, 2011

Orlando Birthday Weekend

I'm still amazed that you can fly for 2 hours and be somewhere totally different. I know it sounds so simple and straightforward in this day and age, but take a moment to think about it. Woke up in cold, dreary Washington on Saturday and had lunch in a sunny, hot, Orlando amusement park with my lovely family. Amazing.

I am sad to inform you that I've been living a lie since last June. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is not an entire world per se, more of an extension to the already existing Universal Studios-Islands of Adventure. I will not dwell on the fact that these amusement parks charge a FORTUNE (better start saving now if you ever want to take the wife you have not met or the kids you have not conceived, because it will COST you. Maybe consider selling a kidney or a child...) However, I do now want to get stuck in the negative, we had a great time, despite the heat, fart smell in long lines, a 9 month pregnant-looking man, with his shirt completely open, "humping" his wife, while waiting to ride Superman with his kids. It was evident he wanted to 'ride' something else...But, moving on, the money guzzling corner, woops...I mean the Harry Potter part of the park was awesome and more importantly, my sisters loved it. Renata is now the proud owner of a wand with very magical powers, such as getting older sisters to pay $33 dollars for a piece of faux wood that allegedly belongs to a wizard. It's incredible.

Please note that I am highlighting these minor issues for comedic effects and am actually really grateful for my dad taking us, we had a lot of fun!! Muggles were very welcome :)




The rest of the weekend was equally enjoyable, we relaxed, had a sisters photo shoot, rented movies, did some shopping, ate some of Gaby's delish food and saw 'Hop'. I am so disappointed that bunnies can't poop (excuse my french) jelly beans in real life. I also went to the orthodontist yesterday, so that after about 5 years the orthodontist could check my permanent retainer (I guess I will die with it). Luckily it went well, but I had all these flashback to my younger years, while sitting in that reclined, leather chair, tweens all around me choosing different colored rubber bands for their braces. Fuchsia and purple and pink please. No, thank you.

It was a perfect Easter/Passover/Birthday celebration! Unfortunately, now back to reality and a world where quidditch is not played (that I know of). However, off to a good start, 4 day work week and on Friday, my entire office (plus families) are going to a National's (baseball) game!

Happy birthday to Matt's mom yesterday and to Em today!

Completely unrelated, Leticia recommended a song by Adele called "Make you feel loved" and I really like it, the perfect, soothing song on an airplane full of screaming kids coming from Orlando--




Top of the mornin' everyone! More pictures found here.

2 comments:

  1. So many things to say, where to start? First, you should know it took me twice as long as it should have to read this post because I had to start over a few times when I realized I was singing along to the awesome CD I was listening to instead of paying attention to what I was reading. Eventually I did make it through, and you ALMOST crushed my Harry Potter world dreams, but not quite. I will still pay a ridiculous amount to see it one day. Also, you look fantastic in those pictures. Just saying. Oh yeah! I too often marvel at being able to fly somewhere, but I don't think I've ever said it out loud. I'm glad to know you feel the same way. =0) This might be too long to count as a "comment", but maybe that means it counts as 4 or 5!
    E.R.F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNEW I was going to forget something - I had so much I wanted to say! That video you posted was a good song. It sounds familiar though, do you know if it's a remake of something?
    Ok, now I'm done. Probably.

    ReplyDelete