Saturday, August 13, 2011

Squirrel For Sale?

Roses are red, violets are blue, your eyes are beautiful and so are you. See you soon, you make me swoon, I want to be with you in a cocoon, even better...a monsoon, preferably in Tulum, and we'll go boom boom. -Written for a secret, female admirer of mine.

Seems appropriate to have an everything bagel post today.

I hate to start it off with a very sad article, but I have to share. It broke my heart when I read it earlier this week, it is just appalling and I think it's important to be conscious that things like this still happen in 2011 -- http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/08/06/mississippi.hate.crime/index.html

However, moving onto something more uplifting, it's been a busy, yet fun week. My mom has been the hit of my office, they think she looks like an ICRC expat and are ready to give her an office and put her to work. We had two delicious lunches out, Thai food with Chanona who leaves DC today (can't believe the summer is almost over, wish he lived here) and sushi with Matilda. She told my mom aka the "little lady" (current nickname) about some of the things we did in college. I had totally forgotten about the "prank war" we had with our (male) neighbours, where they filled our dorm room with about 8 huge couches (floor to ceiling) or when they flipped our room. All of my stuff on Matilda's side and vice versa, it blew my mind and I was giving a tour when this happened! This is a typical dorm room folks, come in. Except I have no idea why it looks like this. Maybe this isn't my room? Wait, I promise I am not drunk....Wait a minute, GRAWWR. To get them back, we hid their couch and put posters up around campus advertising a baby squirrel for sale and put their cell phones on the signs, a lot of people were interested :)

FOR SALE, $9.99 OBO

Matt, Chanona and I also had dinner with my friend Marianna's brother, Miguel, who was in town from Mexico City. We went to Founding Farmers, we had not been in about a year, since we went with Cristina, Emery and Neal. It was just as delicious as I remembered, oh my. The restaurant itself is inside a cool farmhouse, across the street from the Mexican Embassy, right by the IMF and owned by American Family Farmers. Last time, I had amazing spinach/chicken enchiladas and one of the best corn on the cob (with cotija cheese) I've ever had. But, this time, I was in the mood for a salad, so I had a "shrimp louie cobb" with mango, avocado, cucumber, egg and potatoes. And then, we all split two desserts: carrot cake and beignets (finally tried them)!! AMAZING. The food in DC is too good.

"B Baby's Beignets"

Today, I had a facial for the first time. I was hesitant at first because it is quite expensive, but figured that it might be good to have a "deep cleaning". I'm glad I did it, I feel much better and it was a very relaxing 60 minutes. Along with the facial, they also gave me a neck, arms and hands massage. It's amazing the "stuff" that is under your skin, that you would never imagine (without going into any details, eeek).

Tonight is my mom's last night here and we are off to see The Help, I'll let you if it's good. Maybe it'll help me get even more inspired and motivated for my writings....

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment