New recipe courtesy of Emily F.
Coincidentally, I found this picture of us yesterday in an old album:
![]() |
| Summer '06 in Williamsburg, VA |
This is a go-to recipe for busy nights when I don't want a lot of dishes, but still want a complete meal. All you need is a large ovenproof frying pan - no knives, cutting board, or pots necessary (unless you want to make some noodles to go with it). After eating it, my husband announced, "I forgot, I do like kale. It should always be served with cheese and chicken." That's an impressive vote for this meal from someone who tends to be hesitant about "unusual" vegetables.
- 4 skinless chicken breasts (about 1.5 lbs total)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch of kale
- marinara sauce (about 2 cups) - can be homemade or store-bought
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken for about 7 minutes, turning once, until slightly browned on both sides. Remove from pan and set aside. The chicken does NOT have to be cooked all the way through.
While the chicken cooks, tear the kale leaves off the stems and into large pieces. Throw the stems away (or compost them if you're lucky enough to have a compost pile). After you remove the chicken from the pan, add the kale leaves to the same pan.
Saute the kale for a few minutes until wilted. I use tongs because it's a little unwieldy until it wilts down. Make sure you stir/turn it frequently.
Turn the heat off under the pan. Add the chicken back on top of the kale and pour the marinara sauce over the chicken.
Place a mozzarella slice on each chicken breast and sprinkle the parmesan on top.
Put entire pan in oven and bake until the cheese is melted and chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
You can serve it with noodles if you want, but I usually just go with the chicken and kale. It's delicious with egg noodles tossed with a little butter, olive oil, and chopped flat-leaf parsley.
Buen provecho! And thanks to Sofia for again letting me share something I like to cook. I hope you like it too!

No comments:
Post a Comment