Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Orchid Mystique

Happy hump day. It seems as though I am now a year older. 

I've always known that my birthday falls on Earth Day (I've probably told you all a million times too), but I was told by a colleague on Monday, that we also have to share the day with Vladimir Lenin. Not sure how I feel about that yet...We had a great weekend with Matt's brother Josh and his girlfriend Brooke. The weather was a bit erratic (from the 80's to the 40's, blaring sun to rain), but we managed. Despite living here for almost two years now, we discovered two new places that we really liked this weekend.

1. Botanic Gardens - "a living plant museum that informs visitors about the importance, and often irreplaceable value of plants to the well-being of humans and to earth's fragile ecosystem".

Right now they are having their annual special orchid exhibit, which "observes the 100th anniversary of Japan's gift of the cherry blossoms trees to Washington, DC". I hate to admit, but we had a little too much fun reading the names of plants and flowers throughout the building (which is beautiful by the way and full of refreshing air misters). Let's just say that some of them are a bit dirty sounding (I should have written some down to share with you, sorry).







2. Oyamel On Saturday night, along with another lovely couple (friends of Brooke), we went out for my birthday. We had never been there, but had heard good things about the Mexican-Tapas restaurant near Penn Quarter. It did not disappoint (only complaint, they did not have churros. Um what?!?). Some of the many DELICIOUS things we tried: 


  • Queso fundido con tequila y chorizo (melted chihuahua cheese flambeed with tequila and spicy chorizo)
  • Ensalada de chayote (mexican squash salad with crumbled queso fresco and crushed peanuts in a hibiscus dressing)
  • Huevos enfrijoladas (fried organic egg with black bean sauce, house made chorizo, salsa verde and tortilla)
  • Taco de hongos (sauteed seasonal wild mushroom with garlic and shallots, served with guacamole)
  • Pollo a la parrilla con aguacate (grilled marinated chicken with guacamole and green onion)


This is a pomegranate margarita, instead of putting the ice on the rim of the glass, they somehow make salty foam! 

On a completely separate note, this morning I was at the gym (CSI was on, I forgot how enthralling that show can be) and saw a commercial where they kept repeating "UTI" this, "UTI" that. They kept showing men working on cars, they were advertising the Universal Technical Institute ("a nationwide provider of technical education training for students seeking careers as professional automotive, diesel, automotive repair, motorcycle and marine technicians") but did no one tell them that UTI also stands for urinary tract infection? Unless, that is their marketing strategy...?

Just when you thought the birthday's were over....happy birthday to my future mother-in-law (!!) today and to my dear Emily F. mañana :) 

Also, Matt's friend Greg is coming to visit this weekend. Guess the celebrating must go on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment