Friday, May 18, 2012

10 out of 40 (at least)

I read a blog the other day where the author discussed making a list every year of what new things she wants to do each summer. I thought it was a great idea and while coming up with my own list, I came across this one in the WashingtonianGuide to the coolest summerSo, Matt and I have decided to follow this list instead and pledged to cross off at least 10 things by August/September.
  1. Splash in a cool blue pool
  2. Pick strawberries
  3. Jazz in the garden
  4. Tubing
  5. Root for the Nationals
  6. Concerts at Merriweather Post Pavilion
  7. All fresco yoga
  8. Artomatic
  9. Paddle on local waters
  10. Spiked snow cones
  11. Farmers Markets
  12. New York Avenue Beach Bar
  13. Poolside parties
  14. Go sailing
  15. Movies under the stars
  16. High season for the Maryland crab
  17. Your "lunch meeting" means tee time
  18. Beer gardens
  19. Upton Hill Regional Park
  20. (Free) Music
  21. Fourth of July on the National Mall
  22. Tennis Stars descend on DC
  23. Capital Fringe Festival
  24. Summer Musicals
  25. Golf Stars play in our backyard
  26. DC Jazz Fest
  27. Parks with trains and carousels
  28. Rickey Month
  29. Trips to the beach
  30. Trips to the country
  31. Sandy Spring Adventure Park
  32. Gourmet ice-cream sandwiches
  33. See emerging art
  34. The Yards Parks concert
  35. Twilight Polo
  36. Light up the grill
  37. County Fair Season
  38. Hike on historic ground
  39. Clarendon becomes a thrilling cycling scene
  40. Neighborhood festivals
Remember the cookies I told you about? Well, yesterday I attempted to make them and this is what happened:

1. Harris Teeter (our local supermarket) closed indefinitely due to a sewage spill (eeww) in the store on Friday. That was definitely not very pleasant news, especially since we really liked the place and it was so close. As a result, I had to go to the mini-mart off the metro yesterday, to get my ingredients. Of course they didn't have eggs, sugar and such. So, I thought  that I would go the pre-made cookie dough route this time and see how it all turned out.



2. Coating the double stuff Oreos, without breaking them is not that easy. Perhaps made my balls too big? Given that I was only able to make six...


3. Cookies began expanding (probably due to extra large size) and getting very close to one another. 


4. The instructions on the cookie dough packet said to bake for 13 minutes, but after about 20 they were still not cooked. Matt decided to see just how raw they were...with his FINGER. 


5. Finally they were browning up and we decided to take them out. Although, this is not exactly the masterpiece I had envisioned.


6. Despite looking like a giant pile of I don't know what, the chocolate chip exterior and warm, soft Oreo interior, still pleased our taste buds :)


Moving forward, I think I'll leave the baking to the experts - like my friend Regina! Who is now selling her creations. Too bad she can't ship them internationally...

Happy weekend and congratulations to my dear friend Rodrigo who got his MBA today (very excited to see him and his wife in Madrid this summer)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment