Tuesday, July 31, 2012

FNL

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose! 


After about four months of watching Friday Night Lights, we finished all five seasons. I cannot tell you how much I loved this show. At first, I was hesitant. A show about high school football? Not exactly something that would make me fling for the couch. However, after hearing only good things, especially from our friend Kate, we decided to give it a try. It helped that all seasons are on Netflix instant. Ever since I spent two hours bawling during the finale, I've been thinking about what exactly made this show so good. Something about the writing, all the different characters and the relationship between Coach Taylor (the protagonist) and his wife, was one of the best I've ever seen. You can't help but wish for a similar marriage. For those of you who haven't watched, it's really worth giving it a shot. For those that already watched, I found this interesting Grantland article if you want to learn a bit more about the show. Now, we are watching Downton Abbey. Another show that I was not desperate to watch, but have really enjoyed so far. 

Speaking of Kate, we celebrated her birthday on Saturday. She decided to host a picnic on the roof of her building and it was a lot of fun. First of all, the location was great and the views were stunning. Secondly, it was supposed to rain, so while we were outside, we also had shelter when raindrops keep falling on my headWe even got a huge rainbow! There was a delicious assortment of food - cheese, crackers, hummus, pita chips, veggie tray, cupcakes, cookies, grapes, decadent chocolate cake and a corn kugel! The funny thing is that around 9pm, we noticed a DJ setting up close by. I went to talk to him and he said that he had been hired to play at someone else's birthday party. The bulk of the guests of this alleged party either never showed or were very fashionably late (I hope it didn't have anything to do with the fact that the birthday boy was wearing a hello kitty t-shirt), so we had our very own free dance party :)

Kate and her roommate also started a unique blog recently called Dupont Exchange and the premise is: 

This site is meant as an outlet for our musings, as a place to bounce our ideas and reactions off each other and the world. We'll write about anything and everything: men, relationships, jobs, life in DC, our mutual hatred of bell peppers or our mutual obsession with Friday Night Lights. We're only putting one restriction on our posts: that each entry responds to something in the one before. We will alternate writing to each other, highlighting the connection between entries with a quote at the start of each one. 


Anyone who knows me well, knows that I do not paint my nails. Now, I'll occasionally get a pedicure and choose a fun color, but it's not habitual and this only began in the last few years. Some could argue that I was "brainwashed" as a child. I remember desperately wanting to paint my nails when I was about 11 years old, but my dad would tell me that it looked awful and that supermodels didn't wear nail polish. He would even find examples in magazines of beautiful women without polish to back his argument. I still remember the day that my mini nail polish bottles, that someone had given me as a gift, "magically disappeared", later to find out that my grandma threw them away! I was devastated. However, my desire for colorful hands quickly dissipated and to this day I really don't like how it looks. I guess the brainwashing really did work. Out of habit, I've even caught myself saying "I'm not allowed to paint my nails". Even at 26! The point of this whole anecdote is that times really do change....Not only do my sisters paint their lil' nails, but my dad has started encouraging it and buying Renata nail polish, after seeing how creative she is. Today, she even created her very own how-to video (below)!!


Before saying goodnight, here's a link to find out who your Olympic Athlete Body Match is: BBC News (lightest person is 1.36m, 30kg and the tallest is 2.19m, 110kg).

In honor of the organization I work for, happy Swiss National Day tomorrow and sweet dreams tonight.

1 comment: