Monday, July 26, 2010

The Beginning


Thank you to those of you who actually decided to click on the blog link. I hope to entertain and if not, well at least bore you with some details of our new life in DC.

Last time I wrote to you, we had just arrived and were getting settled in. We have been here a total of 4 days and things are coming along. Matt’s dad and brother left yesterday and they were a tremendous help. Matt and I went on a furniture shopping spree and got couches, a dresser, a TV stand, nightstands and a bookshelf. Little by little, the apartment is starting to feel like home. Although there are some major inconveniences in our new place that we're trying to work around, such as:

-Trash chute barely fits an envelope, throwing Matt down, when I am mad, is completely out of the questions now

-No lights on the living room ceiling or bedroom (positive note—cheaper electricity bill?)

-No place to hang towels in the bathroom, maybe we will air dry?

-Tiny closet that barely fits my socks

-Very limited storage space, having to get extremely creative

Anyways, enough of the negatives, those are minor issues, overall things have been going very well. We ventured to the supermarket yesterday, it is a couple blocks away and is called “Harris Teeter” but we have decided to call it “Harris Tooter” or Kroger instead, ahh trying to find joy in the little things. As we were leaving, a horrible storm was starting, looked like a scene from Twister, stuff flying everywhere. Apparently it hit some areas pretty hard, our leasing agent lost power and water (still not back) at his house.

Today was Matt’s first day of work and luckily it went very well! His office is about 6 miles away, so not too bad. We live in between the city (DC) and his work (McLean, VA). I had my interview today with a staffing agency, that a friend suggested I contact. I had to take a spelling, grammar, word, PowerPoint and excel test, luckily I passed, thank you Rice University. I am supposed to hear back in a few days, we’ll see. I want to think it was a success; the only issue was getting there. I decided it might be a good idea for me to drive, so that I would not be all sweaty when I arrived, in my new, black suit. So, I got my GPS ready and ventured out into the city, first time driving in it. Needless to say, all was going well until I got near, all these lettered and numbered streets, no turn here, one-way, do not enter here, it blew my mind and was VERY frustrating. What should have taken 12 minutes (according to my pal Google maps) took me about 45 minutes. I luckily found parking around the corner, but the exit took me about 5 blocks away from the agency and I only had 6 minutes to get there, so I ran, getting my heels caught in a hole or two and got to the interview out of breath, all rosy cheeked and sweaty....good thing I drove! :)

8 comments:

  1. You should contemplate writing a book. I love the way you describe things. Seriously, you know how picky I am...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    You can blog from there and Orlando and Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is where I used to live. You should go say hi.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=38.917957,-77.06283&sll=38.917952,-77.062853&sspn=0.001319,0.00283&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16

    ReplyDelete
  4. (where the arrow is, not the "A")

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to stalk you through your blog! - E

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog captivated me in a way that not even amateur midget porn could. Keep up the good work.

    -Your newest devoted follower

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol to latest response.
    Why are we all anon??

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it! keep writing, that way I won't miss you as much!
    Midget porn star!

    ReplyDelete