Sunday, November 14, 2010

Violence. I feel like it has invaded my TV shows recently. I'm not typically a person who will be easily freaked out or scared over a little violence, but I think I may have reached my threshold. For those of you who watch Private Practice, you might understand and for those who do not, let's just say that the past couple episodes have tried to shed light on violence against women, in a very graphic and impactful manner. Do not get me wrong, I am not criticizing the show, I think that what they are doing is important. The show has been working closely with RAINN (Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network) to show its viewers the impact that sexual violence has on an individual, from the shoes of the actual victim.

Needless to say, this has had quite an effect on me, it is not that I am paranoid now, but I am simply much more aware of it. The fact that we live in a city where I am walking to and from the metro alone, after dark, probably does not help. It is really unavoidable when it starts getting dark at 5:00pm! So, after talking about this with my friend Leticia the other day, Matt and I finally ventured to Dick's Sporting Goods to buy some pepper spray. I've never owned pepper spray, never thought of purchasing pepper
spray, but I figure it can't hurt. Hope I never have to use it of course. The person who worked in the store showed us 4 different models, he said that they were all very similar, so I opted for the bright HOT PINK one. Why not? For those of you interested, you can find it online or at any sporting store (Dick's, Academy, Sports Authority) and it costs around $14.

Yesterday we saw 'Morning Glory', yes the one with Rachel McAdams (who I think is so pretty), Harrison Ford and Diane Keaton. Will it win an Oscar? Probably not. Was it a predictable plot? Yes. But, I left the theatre with a big smile on my face. It was nice to watch something violence-free and with a happy ending. Sometimes that's all a girl (or boy) needs.


Tomorrow I start my new job, hoping for the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment