Following a traumatic experience which involved hot wax, my eyebrows and the lose of some of my skin, I have decided to say adios to waxing and hello to threading (for my eyebrows that is, nowhere else).
Let me go back for a minute and express my severe annoyance at the concept of hair removal as a whole. I am not trying to say that I wish our society accepted women's "flowy" hair (other than on their head). Rather that I wish it was somehow a non-issue. Not to get into the details, but I think that most women can agree that this hair stuff is quite an ordeal, especially for those who God has blessed with an abundance of it, in a non-light color. (Note to self: consider if that mental image is "blog appropriate"). Shaving, electrolysis, waxing, depilatory creams, threading, plucking, laser...Lord!
So, back to the point. On Sunday, after hearing many positive comments about threading and recently being burnt, I ventured to the mall. Why the mall? For some reason, threading is not commonly offered at salons, rather at carts, smack in the middle of busy shopping centers. I have no idea why, but typically there is a little cart involved, a chair and this person who somehow manages to use thread in an unimaginable way to remove facial hair. According to the always accurate and resourceful wikipedia, threading is:
An ancient method of hair removal. It is popular in Indian and Persian culture where it is called Bande Abru ("Abru" means eyebrow, and "Band" is the thread). Practitioners use a pure, thin, twisted cotton thread which is rolled over untidy hairlines, moustaches and so on, plucking the hair at the follicle level. Unlike tweezing where a single hair is pulled out each time, threading can remove an entire row of hair, resulting in a straighter line. However, due to a larger area of hair being removed at once, it can be quite painful for some.
I was a little skeptical and was unenthusiastic about sitting in a chair with my eyes closed in the middle of the mall, but let me tell you that I LOVED the result. It is still a complete mystery to me, but my eyebrows look better, feel better (my skin is intact, hurray) and it is significantly cheaper than waxing. What else could you ask for? Well...perhaps that a man passing by not yell "how much to have my pubic hair removed with that thread of yours?" while I sit there. That I could have done without.
(Disclaimer: Not my eye)

P.S: As you can see, I have been playing with the blog design and I'm still not 100% happy, will continue to play with it tomorrow...good night!
No comments:
Post a Comment