I'm not a huge shopper, mostly because I don't have the means, but also because it's hard for me to justify buying stuff when I don't really need it. Although, Saturday seems to have been the exception, nothing outrageous or anything that will lead me to Ramen noodles for the rest of the year, no worries...It all started when I had to venture out to 'World Market' to return those stupid chairs without backs or seats, I was tempted by their 50% off artwork and furniture, but I contained myself and only left with Maggi seasoning sauce and a little Valentines day gift for Matt, that shall remain unnamed in the rare event that Matt reads my blog, without me asking him to :)

Conveniently, the Fashion Centre mall is right next door. I drove over and despite the severely elevated prices, I gave in and had Matt's car washed. It had not been washed since Houston and every weekend we claim that we will go get it back to its original sparkle and it doesn't happen. Therefore, having it cleaned (inside and out) while I shopped sounded quite heavenly. Then, I headed to go to Macy's in search of a
guayabera for him to wear at my friend Rodrigo's wedding, in Acapulco. For those of you unfamiliar with the aforementioned attire, it is a popular men's shirt in Latin America, the Carribean, Southeast Asia, the West Indies and Zimbabwe. It's also referred to as the "Mexican Wedding Shirt". It is distinguished by several details, such as 2 or 4 patch pockets and vertical rows of fine, tiny pleats. In Mexico, they are generally made of linen (thanks Wikipedia for that concise description). When I asked the man at Macy's for something that fit this description, he laughed and asked if I was not aware of the snow on the ground outside and assured me that NO ONE at the mall sold short sleeved shirts this time a year. Pfff , it's hot other places in the world, isn't it? As I left with a disillusionment cloud over me, several sweaters caught my eye in the men's department. Not for Matt, but rather for myself, so my sweatshirt came off mid-store and the men's clothing fitting began. I left with two VERY discounted wool sweaters, one yellow and one purple. Totally Easter egg colors, not too manly if you ask me. You never know what you may find in random places...
The famous
guayabera had to be purchased. online, along with a few other GAP and Old Navy sale items that caught my eye and were purchased with a Christmas gift card. Disclaimer: Those are not my friends in the picture below, rather a visual of the type of shirt for you.
On my way out of the mall, I noticed that 'Accessorize' was having a 70% off sale. I usually do not go into that store, mainly because it is typically invaded by 14 year old teeny boppers but also because I realize I don't really NEED anything in there. But, 70% off was too enticing, I got myself a colorful and "fun" (according to a woman at Trader Joe's) necklace, a gift for my friend Regina and a satin clutch for the wedding. If you have the time and patience to search, one can find quite amazing sales in this country.
The shopping spree ended with another online purchase for a certain someone special, whose birthday is coming up very soon. There will be an entire blog feature on this person soon.
On Sunday, we did the opposite of shopping, we tried selling or at least tried seeing how much we could sell for. Since I started my new job, I have literally not used my car, so after many conversations, Matt and I have decided to only keep one car. We've also decided that it makes the most sense to sell his and keep mine, because it is a little newer and in better condition. So, we ventured to 'Carmax' in Woodbridge, VA where they presented us a pathetic and ridiculous offer. Needless to say, we will be looking into other ways of selling the car. Ideas and advice most welcome, thanks.
No comments:
Post a Comment