Sunday, May 22, 2011

The.Day.That.Did.Not.End.At.6pm.


If the world was going to end yesterday, I certainly have no idea why I went to a fitness event/class. I should have at least popped some Godiva white chocolate covered Oreos (which by the way are OUT OF THIS WORLD and I do not think I have ever used that expression).

I found out through a listserve I'm on, called Ladies DC, that they were having a fundraiser for Susan G. Komen Global Race for the Cure. The event was from 10am-12pm and consisted of a several parts. First, kettlebells and to be honest I had no idea how to use them and only knew what they looked like from The Biggest Loser. The national kettlebell champion ('06-'10) was there and showed us how to use them, it's a little sexual, just in and out of your legs, use your hips. Umm, excuse me? Not sure I'm ready for a kettlebell child today...We got into teams of four (read: forced to make friends) and the goal was to do 200 kettlebell (12kg) reps the quickest, while one of your team mates did that, the others had to do squats. Let me just say, it was PAINFUL and I knew that I would not be able to walk this morning. Not only that, but I've never really experienced my entire back being sore, it feels so strange.

After that, it was time for yoga "for runners", which is not easy after 200+ squats let me tell you. Even the darn downward dog pose was impossible because everything in you is wobbling and sweating. The instructor, who looked freshly squeezed out of Lululemon, kept saying this is your relaxation pose, just focus on your breathing. All I was thinking was I hope I don't fall on my face and why is that photographer taking pictures in the back of the studio, while we are in this pose? Perfect angle--butts in the air, t-shirts hanging open and dangling from the body, probably exposing everyone's stomach in these lovely photos, that will probably be posted on every social media outlet known to man.

Then, we were on to self defense. What can I say? Chin, head, eyes, bam, better not get me mad...

However, the highlight of the day was not that.

After my Toyota decided not to wake up on Thursday night in Matt's work parking lot (for the 2nd time this month). We had to get her towed and taken to the car hospital. I'm happy to tell you that she did make it and she'll be ok, but the medical bills were steep. Matt and I have been discussing selling one of our cars for a while and this was perhaps the tipping point. We barely ever use the two cars and thus the expenses are not worth it--car payments, insurance, parking, repairs, etc. Do not worry, this was not a sequel to Sophie's Choice, we didn't have to chose between our children. Matt's little, plump (I am not calling him fat), gray Mazda was eager to be sold and become a bratty, 16 year old's birthday gift (well, just an assumption, we sold it to a dealership nearby). 

Matt had inquired a few months ago how much he would get for his car and he was told a certain number, that shall remain undisclosed for purposes of confidentiality and respect. The Mazda's self-worth extends far beyond a number that a used car salesman gave him. Anyways, yesterday, I accompanied Matt and thanks to my alleged Moroccan looks, Arabic phrases and my banter about CD changers, "Hardly Davidson's" and overall schmoozing, the offering price went up $1,000 and the general manager was even on his way to buy me an iPhone!! Serious voice, no joke. Instead of accepting the iPhone, we settled with $1,300 above the original offer. I was over the moon. So now, we completely depend on our one gangsta' Camry and we hope that from now on, it'll be the little engine that could.


Congratulations to my friend Flo who is graduating from Georgetown Medical School today and then off to UC Davis for her residency. We'll be going to her graduation party later today and then to my colleague Ralph's farewell, which promises to include the best Lebanese food ever---exciting day ahead!!

Dr. Flo, who went to kindergarden with my friend Patricia :)


1 comment:

  1. You have some mad negotiating skills! And congratulations to Flo!

    ReplyDelete