Sunday, May 15, 2011

A trip to the 1st state to ratify the constitution

I truly enjoy writing in this blog and sharing stories with you, which is why I hate it when I have several anecdotes I want to tell you and life just keeps on happening. Why is that? For example, I intended to tell you all about this miserable 1.5 hour phone conversation with a Taca Airlines representative (aka: Genaro) a few days ago and the Washington Post had to go and publish a front page story about "Guantanamo detainees' family member visits" and name the ICRC four times. To say the least, the story affected my work this past week and thus left no time for blogging. I mean come on, have a little consideration Washington Post. I HAVE READERS TOO.

However, this weekend has certainly made up for the stressful work week. Recipe for a fun, carefree weekend, serves 2:

- A pinch of sleep
-2 hour hilarious movie
-Italian dinner, free pizza included
-2 hour dance performance
-4 hours of gambling
-1 hour of shopping

In honor of National Chocolate Chip day (yes, it's real) we went to Delaware. Well, we didn't really go because of that, but rather to test our luck at Dover Downs casino.

Of all the days we could have gone to DE, we officially picked the worse day, we were clueless. As it turns out, we went on Dover's most popular day of the year. The Nascar Race. And, to top off our luck, the stadium happens to be right next to the casino, joined at the hip. The parking lot was filled with overalls, camouflage and bud light. It brought us back to our Lake Charles escapades, not a pretty picture... Nonetheless, we were able to satisfy our gambling itch (not problem or addiction may I add), the casino itself is nice and clean and it's only 100 miles from home. The drive there was actually quite scenic, the Chesapeake bay was beautiful. So, two podcasts later (Jillian Michaels picked by moi and Adam Corolla picked by a certain white boy you may know) we were there in a jiffy. Even though we didn't win the $32,257.08 dollars that the 'cash spin' machine promised a lady next to us, I won 20 cents and Matt $25 dollars. Not too bad, considering the odds are always against us.




Yesterday, we went to see 'Bridesmaids' which contrary to popular (initial) beliefs, was HILARIOUS. I was ready to go by myself, but when Matt saw it got a "green, 76 score" on Metacritic, he was more than willing. Hard to believe that Megan (Melissa McCarthy) in the movie, is Sookie from Gilmore Girls (first one on the left)!!


Then, last night we had free tickets to the Trey Mcintyre Project, which was a fun dance performance at the Harman Center downtown. So, we dolled up, had dinner and got our dose o' dance! I can't really describe what it was, perhaps a mixture of contemporary ballet with modern dance to great, jazzy music. Best of all, the tickets were free, courtesy of the Beacon Hotel with whom I work closely. Turns out the dancers were staying there, so they gave the hotel managers tickets for their "top clients" :)


Much more to write, but unfortunately, all this fun has left a big pile of clean clothes on the bed that need to be folded. Boo, back to reality. Well, maybe not quite yet...
  

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, sounds like a busy week! I'm glad you were able to have some fun this weekend. Don't spend all your $25.25 in one place!!

    ReplyDelete