Tuesday, July 5, 2011

My body is in DC, but my mind is still in Miami


For some reason this post is proving impossible to write. I attempted writing it several times on the plane yesterday, I even tried to write it from the perspective of my feet (trying to be creative, but perhaps I was just delusionally tired), but was unsuccessful. Every experience of the trip could have probably been its on blog entry, so I do not even know where to begin and this post will probably not do it justice. All I know is that I wish we were still there. Miami oozes fun, sun, passion and Latin flare.

Despite, threats of overcast and thunderstorms in Miami, we were extremely lucky. Other than a few, quick showers, we had beautiful, perfect weather. We left sun kissed and Aloe Vera did not have to be our best friend this time. We stayed at the South Seas Hotel and even though it was nothing special and quite simple, it was a great location, right on the beach and 2 blocks from Lincoln Road.


That night Alex, Leticia, Matt and I went to dinner at Rosinella, an Italian trattoria on Lincoln Road. Yunis went to dinner with his cousin and Teplin was flying in a little later. However, it was not long until we were all at a bar called Liquor Lounge discussing love, life and my ridiculous work title "welcome responsible". The next day it was time to enjoy the beach and pool, the water was clear and the perfect temperature. We also met up with some of our other friends (Manny, John and Deborah) that were in town, for lunch at Van Dyke Cafe, followed by nail painting (sorry pa), boxing (spectators, not participants) and failed attempted naps, because the pool at the hotel next door was blaring music. I think they did not get the memo that they were not a club/rave.


Later that night, we had the best dinner at Eden, it was amazing and truly an "experience". We ordered a bunch of small plates and shared them---shrimp hard tacos, steamed mussles, waygu beef sliders, tuna tartare, potato ravioli, market fish, braised short rib, "philly fries", crispy calamari and truffle mac and cheese. Even though it sounds like we should have been in a food coma after that, we actually met up with our friends again (total 15 of us) and headed to a rooftop bar at the Gansevoort Hotel (left) and then out dancing at club Louis (right) until around 5am.
Sunday also included some swimming and lunch by the pool, followed by one of the best spa experiences ever at The Setai. Oh my goodness, AMAZING. I thought I had signed up for a "Balinese massage" and Leticia for an "Aryuveda body polish". However, after changing into our robes, enjoying the steamiest steam room and drinking some honey tea, we were told that I would be changing into a Thai outfit and would be on the floor being stretched, pulled and doing yoga. Um, excuse me? As Leticia would say, HELLS TO THE NO. All I wanted was to lay down somewhere and relax. Luckily, my therapist was a "jack(ie) of all traits" and was easily able to burn the Thai outfit and offer me a sea salt body polish as well. It was fantastic, 2-in-1 because it is a scrub and also a massage. Leticia and I got to be in the same room and were able to chat intermittently. Toward the end, they sent us to shower (not together, don't get too excited) to remove the scrub and upon returning, finished the massage and applied lotion. I've never been so soft in my life. The spa and the hotel were breathtaking, we will need to work a few more years to afford their $600+ a night rooms.


We left on a cloud and in pure bliss, without a care in the world. Manny's family had been kind enough to invite us all to dinner at their house, so we got ready and headed over to their house which was about 40 minutes away. They had a made a delicious feast (pork, beans, "ropa vieja", rice, yuca, plantain, etc) and invited all of us and some of Manny's friends from high school. His parents are the nicest people and remember all major events in our last 7 years of friendship, it's impressive. The food was so good and we were all so exhausted, that after dinner I had to curl up in Manny's bed and take a nap. When I woke up everyone was searching intently for Waldo (are Rice students nerdy?).


After dinner the six of us somehow got the strength to go out again and ended up at a hookah bar, but not before somehow walking into a hotel that looked like Alice in Wonderland (crazy furniture, lamps, mirrors, table and chairs in the pool, beds outside, huge chess board) called the Delano Hotel.


I'm not sure how it happened, but before we realized it was after 4am again. By the way, in Miami there is no shortage of people watching, I wish I had pictures of all the "characters" we saw, men who swore they were women, the "hoochiest mammas" you have ever seen, homeless people with cats on leashes and even a man with a yellow python and a lemur charging for pictures!


Yesterday, we spent a little more time at the beach and the pool, had lunch at Maxine's, where the burgers took over 40 minutes to cook and where the waitress told us that we looked upset, because the food took so long (never in my life have I heard of this before, she was terrible). But, the company was good and the trip had been a success, so I can't complain. There are some more pictures HERE.

Excited to see where we decide to go next 4th of July, as it seems to have become a tradition :)


And, what better way to end this post, than by wishing Alex and Leticia a VERY, VERY HAPPY 7 YEAR ANNIVERSARY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment