Monday, January 9, 2012

SnEakY sUrpRISe

How would you react, if suddenly you started getting postcards in the mail (like the one below), with your picture on it, from friends and family from all walks of life? If all of them said, happy birthday in some shape or form, whether it be via a memory, sentiment or well-wish? Would you be excited? Confused? Worried that this is a brilliant new form of junk mail? 


Well, let me tell you the story: 

Once upon a time, I read about this idea in a blog, it was called: Dad Turns 70. I thought it was extremely creative and funny. Therefore, at the end of November, I e-mailed my grandpa and asked him what he thought about doing something like that for grandma. Luckily, he loved the idea and thus, "operation sneaky" began! He designed the card online, along with an explanation (below) and envelopes. The next thing to do was "covert op - get ahold of grandma's address book", which was achieved with the utmost valiance. Then, all of the "ingredients" were sent to me and it was my turn to address, ensure proper postage and mail the 50+ "packages", at the most optimal time - December 19 2011, also known as "(mail) Day". 



All we could hope for was that our troops friends and family would know what to do and when. It was out of our hands. The job was done. All we could do was wait. On the eve of December 29 2011 the first card made it's way to grandma's mailbox. Albeit a little early, it was the beginning of a surprise gift that would surpass time. My grandma wrote to me, "OMG I wish you could see this card...they got a picture of me as a little girl". Our "cover" were more important than ever. Lie, deny, change the subject and whatever you do, don't spill the beans. However, grandma's brilliance was too much. She started to suspect and while these past 11 days have not been easy, we got through them somehow. 

Today it's FINALLY grandma's birthday and I'm thrilled to report that her current state is a positive one :)

Not all of the cards have arrived, but they are definitely continuing to trickle in. On that note, I'll say "over and out, mission accomplished". Until next year...



No comments:

Post a Comment