...and no, I do not mean the show on E!I decided it was probably best I didn't go to work today, as I was still not feeling well and didn't think being out and about was going to help. Plus, colds seems to spread rather quickly in our 33 person office and I didn't want to turn anyone else into a "snorffle" (Matt's new made-up word - someone who snores as a result of having the sniffles).
So, I was desperately trying to find something on television this morning (choices are extremely lacking at 9:30am), when I came across a show called Tia & Tamera. Turns out that while we've been at work all day, every day, the twins from Sister, Sister grew up! One is getting married and the other is having a baby. Well, needless to say, I'm hooked.
About an hour later, I received a phone call from an unknown VA number, the gentleman said "hello ma'am, I work for Celebrity Deli and I'm here to deliver soup (between you and me, I just accidentally wrote "soop" - woopsies) to you from Grandma Robbin. Can I come up and deliver it?" Wait, what?! NO WAY. A couple minutes later, I heard a knock on the door and lo and behold, he had a big container of chicken noodle soup with matzah balls for me!
Turns out, after my grandma (who may I remind you, lives 2708 miles away) and I spoke last night, she went on a mission to find a nearby restaurant that could deliver some soup to me today. So, she started calling places around 9pm (my time) and after a few tries, came across this deli in Falls Church, that was about to close for the evening. Of course, she told the man who answered the phone, the whole story "I have a granddaughter that has a cold and I've told her to take vitamin C, but she's sick again and I wish I could make her my soup, but I live in California..." You get the idea, right? Well, he took down the very special order, instructions that the soup was to be delivered to me personally (not left in the lobby) and assured her that he'd take care of it.
Well, we suppose this man either told the owner or the owner overheard, because a few minutes later, SHE called my grandma. Apparently, they had never gotten a request quite like that and needless to say, they started schmoozing (clearly I got that gene from somewhere). Coincidentally, the soup is the owner Julie's (yes, they are on a first name basis now) grandma's recipe. Which is exactly where my grandma, got her recipe. And, where I'll get mine. Before the call was over, they exchanged cell phone numbers and grandma agreed to call Julie early in the morning, to let her know where I'd be - either at work or at home.
So, this morning at 6am (!!) my grandma called her, told her that I was home and confirmed the delivery. Which in conclusion, is how the super soup made it to my door :)
I still cannot believe it. Not only is the soup yummy, curing me (I can feel the matzah strengthening my immune system as I type), but it also made my day.
Thank you AGAIN Grandma (whose birthday is in 4 days)!!
No comments:
Post a Comment