Saturday, February 18, 2012

Engaged!!

I knew I loved Matt when I offered him my last oreo one day. I thought to myself, if that is not love I do not know what is?! He says that he knew he loved me when we first started dating and I would order a beer, take one sip and then leave 99% for him.

As most of you already know, on Tuesday, our relationship was literally taken to another level (not moving up a floor again, promise) and we could not be more THRILLED!


While I was drafting this post, I was trying to figure out how to describe the proposal to you all. But, truth is, the entire proposal is comprised of several events/moments/conversations. It all started in 1986...well, yes, but we do not have to start there. That would be a LONG post :)

We'll start in December, when Matt spoke to my dad and asked for my hand in marriage. You know how in Jerry Maguire, Dorothy says, you had me at hello? Well, Matt definitely had me at talk to Sergie (my dad). That meant more to me than words can describe (so, I won't even try). After that, Matt went on "operation surprise Fifi", claiming that I'm always "one step ahead of the game". Threatening to have the ring "come up the toilet" if he had to, in hopes of fulfilling his mission. Luckily, it didn't have to come to that, although that would have been very impressive (and slightly unsanitary?)!!

A few weeks ago, Matt asked if I would prefer he chose the ring or that we do it together. After talking about it, we decided to go about it together. After all, neither one of us knew exactly what we were looking for. I didn't even own a single ring. We started looking at Tiffany, BlueNile, I.Gorman Jewelers, etc. However, as it happens, my grandma told us about her jeweler in LA, who has been making jewelry for our family for 4 generations! SO glad we got in touch with him, as he definitely exceeded our expectations and made a ring exactly what we were looking for.

Matt was adamant about the proposal not happening on an "obvious day", such as New Year's, Valentine's Day, birthday, etc. Little did I know...on Tuesday, Matt picked me up from work and we went to Jaleo, a tapas restaurant that we had been meaning to try since we moved here. We had a lovely and delicious dinner (calamari, croquetas de jamon serrano, tortilla espanola, paella, chorizo con pure de papa, etc) and there was nothing suspicious about it. Afterwards, we had our habitual debate (when downtown), whether to have FroZenYo or not. Verdict: Yes.

When we got home, I went straight to put on my pj's. I wish I could say they were at least sexy ones, but sadly not. When I turned around, I found Matt on one knee and well, the rest is history...!! He tricked me and all I managed to keep exclaiming, was "NO WAY, NO WAY, NO WAY". To which Matt asked, "are you saying no way to me?" I told him, "No!! YES, to you! But, no way, no way, no way".

At Jaleo (pre-engagement)
Wednesday (post-engagement) - at work w/ Lydia, Klare and Clare!
Last night at BlackFinn Saloon - w/ Kate and Andreas

Hope you have a wonderful (potentially long) weekend!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment