During my senior year, I volunteered as an interviewer for prospective students. I truly enjoyed it and thus, continued as a Rice Alumni Volunteer for Admission (RAVA), here in the DC area. I remember when I had my interview, more than 8 years ago, at a Panera in Orlando, FL. I was nervous, excited and eager to start that new chapter of my life. While I do not remember the specifics of the person interviewing me back then (eek, sorry), I do remember that it was a very casual conversation, she was approachable, seemingly smart and nice. She was also full of information about Rice, that I couldn't have read on any website and above all, she was extremely positive and enthusiastic about the school. I strive to be the same way, when I meet with these nervous and overly groomed 17-18 year old's.
While the volume of interviewees is nowhere near what it is on campus, I've probably met with 4 or 5 students since we moved. What always strikes me the most is how motivated and hardworking these individuals seem to be. Well, not all of them...I've met a few who are obviously only applying because mommy or daddy forced them to or once in a while, you come across the student who barely says a word, which is when you have to get creative and start asking things like, what is your favorite movie? Do you like video games? in the hopes of getting something worth noting. Then, there were the students that come prepared with flattery, "your eyebrows are so beautiful" or carrying a box of chocolates. All of them unique and most making the admissions officers decisions extremely hard. I don't know how they even choose (I think the acceptance rate these days is around 19%?) These kids have straight A's, perfect SAT scores, they speak 3 languages, spent the summer building houses in Haiti and teach violin to needy children, in between lacrosse practices. I worry about what my sisters will have to do and our unborn children for that matter!
Why am I even talking about this? Well, primarily because I received a new interview assignment and just set up a time to get coffee chai tea with this person next week, but also because my inbox is flooded with e-mails about the Rice Centennial Celebration coming up in mid-October. This is what's led me to think about those four years more than usual; about the people I miss and people I don't, whether I would pass PSYCH 101 if I took it now (pff), my worries back then vs. worries now, living in Texas, my eating habits (more on that below), if and what I would have done differently, getting hitched to the boy who lived next door, etc. Some memories are very vivid and others, not so much.
| 1st day of "o-week" (orientation) - 2004 |
Ok, ok, enough rambling and sappiness for now. What I ACTUALLY wanted to share with you, was a new recipe that I made today for the first time. I'm afraid to admit this, but in college, one of my favorite things to eat for breakfast in the "servery" (cafeteria) was a bagel with cream cheese, tater tots and bacon. Please, no judging. It was actually delicious. However, there comes a point when it's time to make some better choices (not perfect, but better...) For those of you that were already making them back then, I applaud you.
This, (finally) brings me to my "No-Noodle Zucchini Lasagna". While not quite a bagel substitute, definitely a slightly healthier version of the traditional pasta dish. The only minor change that I made, was substituting the cottage cheese for low-fat ricotta. Exact recipe: here.
While my final product didn't quite look exactly like the original (re-living my oreo experience), it was molto buono. Matt went in for seconds and he claims not to like cheese or zucchini! Hmm...
![]() |
| Inspiration |
| Actual |
For some more reminiscing: 5th grade.
“Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!” ― Dr. Seuss


No comments:
Post a Comment