"A pet peeve (or pet hate) is a minor annoyance that an individual identifies as particularly annoying to them, to a greater degree than others may find it."
Typically my list of annoyances are out the door, but just when I want to put them down on paper, they seem to magically disappear. However, yesterday in Zumba, two new girls took my place. The same place I have stood in, every week, for 15 months! No, I don't own that piece of floor, it does not have my name on it. No, they probably had no idea, but still...hmph. Also, the girl in front of me was wearing see through black leggings (issue number 1), so I could see her colorful thong (issue number 2). I don't care what you wear as an undergarment, but just because we are dancing to the "wobble", does not mean I want to see your thong do the wiggle.
I asked my same group of friends (that told us about their professional aspirations as children), to share some of their pet peeves.
***
Air
conditioners that drip on you from above in New York city .
When people
who you are making plans to see in the immediate future, call you on the phone
and persist in having a general update conversation. Ex -
Me - so I'll see you in 20 at velvet?
Friend - cool. So how are things?
Me - I'll tell you at the bar,
doofus.
People who
litter while hiking in parks.
The
indestructible plastic wrap on certain products (I cut myself on a knife trying
to open the packaging).
***
People who take the elevator up
or down 1 floor - if you’re carrying something or unable to walk up stairs then
obviously it’s okay, same thing if it’s during non-busy times; but at the end of
a work day, the crowded elevator I find myself in, really doesn’t need to stop at
the second floor. Oh and if you are going to take the elevator up one or two
floors, don’t jump in front of everyone and head to the back of the elevator so
that we all have to make room for you to get back out of the elevator a whole 3
seconds later.
People who weave in and out of
traffic – saving 15 seconds on your commute is not worth the higher risk of
killing people (or yourself) on the road. You’re just going to sit on your
couch once you get home anyways, what’s the rush?
People who tailgate in the right
lane – it’s bad enough if you’re tailgating from the left lane, but if it’s a
multilane highway and you’re tailgating someone in the right lane, here’s a
novel idea – pass the car in front of you.
***
My biggest pet peeves are all relate to rudeness.
Like when you let someone go in front of you while driving or you hold the door
open for someone and they don't say thank you. Not that I was being nice just
to be acknowledged, but I didn't do it for shits and giggles either!
It also drives me up the wall when people mix up homonyms they should have mastered in the second grade; 'they're' in the place of 'their' or vice versa being the most obnoxious faux pas. I find it particularly degrading when they also graduated from the same university as I did...
***
Subway grates that don't blow air (WHAT IS THE POINT OF AVOIDING THEM IF
MY SKIRT IS GOING TO STAY DOWN).
Times New Roman font.
When people call their significant other "the boy" or "the girl" and don't use their names, like their only job in life is to date person A.
When people use their iphone microphone to talk on the phone and then I think they are just weirdly singing along to music until I get closer.
If the toilet paper is on the roll facing up rather than down.
People who order food by saying "can i get a..." (and yes I also do that, but it is so rude when you pay attention to it).
***
My pet peeves include bad manners (like not saying please & thank
you) and rude women on the metro (rude men I can handle...I just can't handle
women 'tude).
***
Going out to
eat with friends only to find out that they would rather check their phone for
Facebook updates. A few months ago I was at dinner with 3 other couples and at
one point I looked down the table and every single one of them was on their
phone. My boyfriend and I ended up having to make conversation alone.
Passive
aggressiveness. Just have the dammed conversation already!
When you are
seated in the aisle seat on the Metro or bus, and the person next to you makes
you get up while the bus is still moving so that they can wait at the door for
the bus to stop. I end up falling into a stranger every time while the
person is getting out because inevitably the driver puts the breaks on at the
exact same time. I now wait patiently in my seat and tell them that I
will get up when the bus/train stops. It is also slightly entertaining to
see them squirm in their seats.
Being called
food (cupcake, sugar pie, etc).
(this has
happened to my girlfriends multiple times) When a dude is too chicken
to hit on you, so his buddy comes over and says something like "hey, my
friend over there thinks your cute and would like to buy you a drink"
my response is always "tell your buddy if he had come over here
himself, I would have had a drink with him" and end the conversation.
(If you are shy, there are plenty of other indirect ways to hit on
someone).
Empty
shampoo bottles in the shower.
Fridges that
are not cleaned out regularly.
Organizations
who try to get you to donate on street corners. We've all experienced the UNHCR
and GreenPeace folks. They make you feel guilty for saying no when they
don't know anything about you. You may be jobless, or like me in that you
already donate to several charities and simply don't want to give money to
their particular one. Who are they to judge me?
Women who breast feed in public. NOT OK. It makes me feel very uncomfortable (and I'm a woman) and I should not have to be subjected to that. I think it is very rude that they force strangers to be present for it. Why can't they find a private room?
And lastly,
when people take a #2 in the office bathroom and do not flush completely.
No one likes a floater.
***
Pet peeves? Hmmm, my biggest red
button pet peeve though has to be people who are patronizing or
condescending. That drives me absolutely insane.
What else? It drives me nuts when people chew gum and talk to me. I'm weird. I also hate it when people leave *just* enough in a container of food or in a Brita so that they can say, "Well I didn't refill it and/or throw it out because there was still some left." Argh, just thinking about that drives me nuts.
***
***
On that note, why not end with some random non-peeves from this past week?
New GAP curvy skinny jeans.
It's a BOY! I've been reading this blog for about 2 years now and even though I do not know Kath personally, I'm so excited about the new addition to her family. Wish one of my friends was having a baby, hint, hint ;)
Candy Corn Oreos at Target. What?!
How President Obama gets his mail.
New England Patriots 1st game of the season (actually...is this a peeve or a non-peeve?)
Happy National Grandparent's Day today! Apparently, this originated in 1978.
Who killed Sarcasm? Courtesy of my friend Jacob Y.
A love letter written with chalk, on the sidewalk, outside our building. Author: unknown (but not Matt).


No comments:
Post a Comment