Sunday, October 14, 2012

Race for a cause

Pizza at Red Rocks

Greetings from bed, where I've admittedly spent most of the day. This morning, Matt and I woke up early, nibbled on a peanut butter granola bar and ventured out into the cold to run an 8k (roughly 5 miles). I had never ran more than 4 miles, so as I forced my contact lenses into my sleepy eyes I was not feeling particularly jazzed about this endeavor. Plus, it had only been about a week since we signed up for the race, so there was no real time for preparation. However, the run was starting/ending right near home, so it was hard to pass up the opportunity and was for a good cause. When I told my mom about the race, she wrote back "What's an SK? Shakira concert?" :)

Last night, we went to Kate's (lovely) housewarming party in Columbia Heights and our friend Jacob came into town - both of these making me wonder once again why I signed up for this race; but in the end, I'm very happy I did it. Matt did an amazing job; he beat his goal and finished in 38:30, while I came in right at the hour mark.

The stars of the party, other than the hospitable hosts of course, were the Blackberry Mojito Punch (courtesy of Southern Living, delicious recipe) and the candy corn - so bad, yet so addictive when the bowl is by your side.

During all of this, we were not the only ones celebrating. Rice's Centennial Celebrations were in full force this weekend and they had a "Spectacle" (light show), created by URBANSCREEN, that looked amazing! Full video here: 100 Years. It reminded me a little of the Digital Graffiti in Grayton Beach...

Also, partying the night away, were my sisters at the "father-daughter dance". Loving the photos that my stepmom took beforehand (some below). While I would like nothing more than to attend this type of shindig with my dad, I read that a school district in Rhode Island is banning these types of activities. Thoughts?



Hope you all had a fun-filled weekend, may this week be low in stress and happy (belated) birthday to my dear friend Melissa!! Matt is already fast asleep, so it seems only polite to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment