Sunday, November 18, 2012

(in)SANE


The newest addition to our life in DC, is our friend Jake. He recently started a new job and while he is temporarily living on a farm about 60 miles away, he will be moving to our neck of the woods soon. 

In a recent blog post, he mentions that we are helping keep him sane, by inviting him to civilization and letting him stay with us. While I might have retorted by saying "glad we can keep you sane, while you drive us INSANE", I must admit that his company has been thoroughly enjoyed (famous last words...)

Last week, we went to see Adam Carolla live at the Warner Theater, downtown. After feeling like he is the third tenant of our apartment (given that Matt sometimes listens to his podcast without headphones), it was great to finally "meet him". Turns out he's the "most downloaded podcast", according to the Guinness World Records. He recently came out with a drink called Mangria, that they were selling during the show, which he apparently came up with on a whim, while mixing red wine and vodka. I cannot attest to the taste, as my consumption of choice was peanut m&m's. 


A few days later, we ventured to Union Market for the first time. A "year round indoor market featuring 40 local artisans". It's in the NE part of town and while the surrounding area is a bit sketchy, the actual 47,000 square-foot warehouse is being referred to as the "new culinary emporium". While the massive crowds, did not allow for us to fully appreciate all of the food options, the place itself reminded me a lot of Madrid's Mercado San Miguel (clean, upscale and little stalls, surrounded by bar stools).

Last Saturday, the parking lot was home to an annual arts and crafts fair called Crafty Bastards (how can you pass up an event with that name?) All I could think of was: if Etsy threw up, this is what it would look like. In a good way. So many unique items, but this silhouette artist, stole the show. While this is not quite in our wedding budget, his cool mustache was calling my name and saying "hire me, hire me".


Top secret piece of advice: Next time you want to spice things up, start reading Cosmopolitan Magazine out loud at a party. Kate invited us over to an "All-American Post Election Celebration", inspired by this hilariously sweet "Bronco Obama" video (that we could all relate to) and Jake graced us with some oh so special story time. I can't reveal too much more, or this post would get steamy become R rated. However, I did manage to film these narrations and I'll release them to the highest bidder.


In PG rated news, the excitement of having so many of our loved ones in one place for the wedding is starting to sink in. Over a dozen of our guests (that we know of) purchased their airplane tickets today and the "save the date" postcard below, came from a family friend who is throwing me a bridal shower in Houston! Can't wait. 


Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I'm grateful for many things, including you reading this blog post in it's entirety.

P.S: If any of you want to see if you could pass the US Citizenship test - U.S News. I'm afraid to take it, out of fear of being deported, but Matt got a perfect score. 

No comments:

Post a Comment