Saturday, November 3, 2012

Missed Connection

Last weekend, I lucked out with a $30 massage at a new spa nearby. Matt drove me because I was worried it was a scam and I was being lured to an abandoned warehouse, but the place was actually heavenly. Robe, slippers, tea, they soaked my feet while waiting, personalized aromatherapy (lavender and bergamot), excellent service and if that was not enough, a "no-tipping policy"!

While there, I met a really nice Dutch woman. If life were a giant Facebook, I would have befriended her instantly. When we were little, making friends seemed so easy and straightforward. Oh, you like sprinkles? I like sprinkles! Let's be best friends. Now, it feels like dating. You don't want to seem to eager, come off to strong, make the first move. I didn't even catch her name. There was an interesting article in the NY Times a few months ago, that talked about the difficulty of making friends the older you get.

Maybe I need to look for her in the missed connections section of Craigslist? (met at a spa, had a nice conversation, want to be friends?) Not creepy at all, I know. Have you guys read some of those?


We also went to a "Wedding Party" at Crate & Barrel. It turns that every month or so, select stores around the country invite couples to "get inside tips from registry experts, create your perfect registry and celebrate with food, drinks and fun". Not knowing exactly what to expect, we ventured to the store at 9am, last Sunday. The store was not open to the public until 11am and 20+ couples stood by us, looking sleepy, but eager to use a scan gun. There was breakfast waiting at different stations, each showcasing a particular appliance: carrot/apple/ginger juice (amazing), ham and cheese panini's, waffles, coffee, etc. With a satisfied palate, we began our quest and even left with a free vase.

Afterwards, the rain was en route, so I found myself watching the new TV show, "Nashville". Given my immense love for Connie Britton (Tami Taylor) in Friday Night Lights, I felt the need to give it a chance. The San Jose Mercury News (how obscure), described it as "an irresistible blend of soapy shenanigans, domestic tension, political intrigue and catchy tunes", which seems quite accurate. I'm actually loving the music and still cannot believe that Connie sings!

Also, not sure if you remember lil' Lennon and Maisy, from YouTube, who sang their version of 'Call your girlfriend' (Robyn), with empty butter containers? Well, they are also on the show and fabulous so far. Three of my favorites (videos) -

1. Telescope



2. No One Will Ever Love You



3. If I Didn't Know Better



My heart goes out to all those affected by hurricane Sandy. The impact of the storm has been mind boggling. We didn't lose power or water until Wednesday (after the storm, which was odd) and while disruptive, it was unparallel to the deaths and devastation elsewhere. We showered at the gym and despite forgetting some rather crucial undergarments (!!), we had little room for complaints.

New York Magazine (cover)

Stay safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment