Thursday, September 9, 2010

Flags, tours, metro anyone?

For weeks I complained about looking for a job and now I find myself in my third day of work and I have no idea what I was complaining about. Let me clarify, this has nothing to do with my actual new job. Things are going very well, it’s interesting and the people are very nice. This is more about how nice it is to stay home and not have to set an alarm clock and be somewhere every day for 8+ hours. There was a sense of freedom before, wake up whenever you want, watch as much TV as you want, take a shower… if you want, etc. These past 5 weeks may have been the longest I have ever “relaxed” (no school or work) in years, if it was not an internship, it was starting work the day after graduation (whose idea was that?)It was refreshing but also bad, because it gave me a taste of what being a bum is like and I’d be lying if I told you I hated it.

Life in the city is very different, let’s take the metro for example (I know I keep talking about it, sorry). Your whole life changes with the metro, you walk A LOT, commutes take either a lot more time or less, depending on where you are going and traffic, sometimes you find yourself packed like sardines, sweating and rubbing up against people you don’t know. It’s different. Delays can make your life miserable, much like traffic. You are somewhat tied to a schedule, I often find myself wondering “if the metro came at 10:02am and it comes every 6 minutes until the end of rush hour, then it comes every 8 minutes, oh but the next metro is coming with no passengers, so I have to wait for the other one”….

On a brighter note, it’s amazing how beautiful this city is (not everywhere of course, but most places). Matt and I were walking around last weekend and suddenly we were passing the FBI building, the United States Federal Reserve, the US Supreme Court! It’s crazy, these places we learn about in school, hear about in the news or on our favorite TV shows, are all around us. I mean I work on Capitol Hill, which I still can’t even wrap my mind around!

What else can I talk to you about? Oh, one of my duties is to organize tours. So if you or your families/friends are ever in DC and want to go to the White House, Bureau of Engraving, Supreme Court, Library of Congress, Capitol or the Pentagon, let me know. Unfortunately, I don’t have special privileges or anything (that I am aware of), but I can help. Some require you request a tour 30-60 days in advance, so that makes it a little difficult. I also handle flag requests; if you or your family is interested in purchasing a US flag that has been flown over the Capitol, let me know. You even get a certificate! More than 100,000 flag requests come in a year.

I sound like an ad, for only 2 installments of $9.99 a flag can be yours, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment